The onslaught of technology on business processes and operations has created a whole slew of opportunities for vendors and consumers, as well as risks related to privacy, licensing, intellectual property and brand management. Whether you are looking to outsource or offshore operations, license electronic payment systems, acquire a start-up, hash out a distribution agreement, or comply with new consumer protection regulations, expert advice can go a long way in championing your interests and protecting your rights.
McCarthy Tétrault’s technology group has extensive experience providing advice on complex information technology matters, including sophisticated IT systems procurements and enterprise-wide licensing arrangements. We have handled more outsourcing deals than any other Canadian law firm. Our expertise includes Canadian technology company acquisitions (Canadian inbound); U.S. and international tech M&A and financing transactions; and global rollouts for Canadian technology companies.
Members of our tech and IP team regularly advise in the following areas:
- Critical transactions for technology companies, including:
- corporate structuring and governance models
- labour and employment
- regulatory compliance
- consumer protection
- Technology outsourcing and systems/services procurements, representing both service providers and customers, ranging from large-scale telecommunications services procurement to business process outsourcing, application process outsourcing, and application service provider outsourcing.
- Legal issues relating to next generation technology and business models, including:
- clean technology
- smart grids
- cloud computing
- open source licensing
- mobile applications
- social media
- Canadian and cross-border U.S./international mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions, including advising at all stages from initial funding to IPOs and exits.
- Strategic protection and commercialization of intellectual property assets, including:
- acquisition of patents, design registrations, and trade-mark registrations
- licensing (ranging from university licensing agreements to large scale research and collaboration agreements)
- rights enforcement
In a nutshell, we are your partners and guides into the virtual realm.